Sankt Nikolauskirche

Bad Dreikirchen, South Tyrol Italy

Roman Catholic

The hamlet is named for the three closely spaced Gothic churches. The oldest and largest is St. Gertraud, first mentioned in 1237. The second is St. Nikolaus, mentioned in 1422. The last, the smallest St Magdalena, was built in 1500 after a flood destroyed the Antoniuskirche. When the third church was rebuilt the churches formed a triangle rather than the original row. It is thought the three churches either replaced a pre-Christian spring shrine or that they were a sanctuary for pilgrims and travelers.