St. Nicholas Church

Haffjarðare Iceland

[Roman Catholic]

The church was on the small island of Haffjarðarey from around 1200 until 1563 when it was deconsecrated by the Lutheran Reformation and the island subsequently was abandoned. The church, dedicated to the patron saint of fishing, and cemetery served the entire region and was involved in the the growing international fishing industry. It is now the site of an archeological dig, studying the ancient burial site. The research is ongoing, having begun in 1905 when the graves were opened by the sea and bones were being claimed by the tides.