St. Nicholas Mountain - Holy Mountain

Gdynia / Chylonia Poland

Roman Catholic

The mountain is at least 200 feet high and may be reached by road or path. There was deciduous forest, though much was lost when a gravel pit was dug on one slope; the pit has been closed. It was viewed as a magical place even before Christianity. There is a story that St. Nicholas himself chose this place and it was a place of many great graces and miracles for those who asked him. Around 1770 a chapel was built on the mountain, 40-feet long, covered in tiles. The tower had a bell and there was a figure of St. Nicholas on the altar. Ever since many people have come on pilgrimage on December 6. After the Reformation, Lutherans removed the statue. Nicholas returned to the chapel. Then his legs were cut off so he couldn't return. Three times the legs grew back and he returned to the chapel. Then he became lost. People continued to come and pray to the absent saint and to draw water from the old well. The water was extraordinary, and was especially effective treating blindness. Legend tells that a wicked man used the water to cure a horse—the horse was cured, but the man became blind and the water lost its properties. The well disappeared and the chapel fell into ruin, knocked down by winter storms. In 1938 precious votive treasure was discovered with many coins from the 1700s. The Holy Mountain has been reclaimed. A stone grotto was built, a statue of the Virgin Mary brought, school children cleaned the area, benches were placed. A service was held for the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1996.

More information