St. Nicholas Neporotovo Cave Monastery

Halytsia Ukraine

Ukrainian Orthodox

The monastery was founded in natural limestone caves during the 1200s; it was destroyed by Turks in 1800. It was repeatedly restored and fell into decay and the church became a parish church. In the early 1950s it was revived as a skete. The Soviets closed the monastery and it was devastated. In 1999 the monks of St. John the Theological Khreshchatyk Monastery decided to revive it. The St. Nicholas Church is a cave church. The brothers celebrate daily services; feast days are May 22 and December 19—for the Festival of the Translation of the Holy Relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker to Bari, Italy, and his feast day in December.