Bierge, Huesca Spain
The Romanesque church was built in the 13th century, made of well-squared masonry. The church was declared a historical-artistic monument in 1931. It is noted for wall paintings made in two phases in the late 13th century. The first, by anonymous First Master of Bierge, consists of the Crucifixion and scene of the passion and death of Ss. Fructuoso, Augurio, and Eulogio. The second from 1285-1300 includes the lives of Ss. Nicolás and John, and two angels with trumpets. The paintings were transferred to canvas in 1949. Poor management led to the sale of most of the paintings to support restoration of the church. The Life of Nicholas is in the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.