St. Nicholas Cupcakes
These most special treats will gladden the heart of anybody at holiday time! They are also perfect for Santa's midnight snack. Kick off the holiday season on December 6, St. Nicholas Day, by serving these glazed, cranberry-filled gems to all your loved ones and friends.
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package white cake mix
3 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
Whole cranberry sauce
Warm baker's syrup (see below)
Small evergreen sprigs, to serve
Small candy canes, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water in a large bowl and blend with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about two-thirds full with batter, then drop a teaspoon of cranberry sauce in the center of each one.
- Bake the cupcakes in the center of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Immediately after removing cupcakes from the oven, paint the tops with baker's syrup and set aside to cool.
- Wash evergreen sprigs under cold running water; shake dry. Unwrap candy canes, then insert one along with a sprig of evergreen into the top of each cupcake. Arrange finished cupcakes on a decorative plate and serve. Makes about 18.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Bring all ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Use warm to enhance baked goods. Makes enough to glaze a 3-layer cake generously.