St. Nicholas Coin Toss
Toss St. Nick's bags of coins down the chimney!
- Ages 5 & younger: 3 tries to toss 1 bag in for a prize
- Ages 6 & over: 3 tries to toss 2 bags in for a prize
- Younger children stand closer; older children further away
- Chocolate coins make a good prize
- Use a box for the chimney
- Cover with brown wrapping paper; add construction paper "bricks"
- To make bags: cut a circle of felt with pinking shears (use a dinner plate for pattern); fill with large dried lima beans (they feel like coins); fasten with rubber bands
- Weight box/chimney with brick or heavy book to prevent tipping over
Paint a fire place scene on a large piece of cardboard; attach a large Christmas stocking. Make a "window" out of a door with sheets for curtains. To play toss a small bag of coins "through the window" into the stocking (or through the square hole or even over the mantle—whatever it takes to win!) Give a St. Nicholas prayer card for the prize.
Toss coins "through the window." Create "window" on stairs; place cups and mugs on steps. Try to toss a coin into a mug or glass. If succesful, the mug or glass is the prize!
Variations I & II from Melissa Foote, Work in Progress. Used by permission