St. Nicholas Giving Project
St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, used an emphasis on St. Nicholas to support the American Friends of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem (AFEDJ). A similar approach could be used to support any seasonal charitable project.
- Announcements during worship,
- Special coffee hours,
- St. Nicholas visit to children’s classes,
- Other suggestions.
- St. Nicholas to make announcements and visit children and coffee hours
St. Nicholas found it wonderful to ask people to give rather than ask for more, encouraging children and adults to be generous, not greedy.
- Cookie bakers to provide cookies (lots!) for children and coffee hours
- Seamstresses to stitch up the small gold mite bags
- Knowledgeable folks to talk up the project
- Committee to organize, do publicity, etc.
- Information (handouts, posters, etc) about AFEDJ or other project, widely available
- Gold mite (coin) bags for children
Gold cloth with ribbon drawstring, finished size 4 3/4 x 5 inches
- Large gold bag for cookie donations
- Donation envelopes in service bulletin or pew racks
- Read AFEDJ’s pastoral letter from St. Nicholas
- Tell about AFEDJ’s work with Palestinian children
Coffee Hour Table
- Cookies (free for children, donation from adults, though some children do donate)
St Nicholas cookie cutters, recipes
- Large (to encourage generosity) gold bag for cookie donations
- Project information and handouts
Saint Nicholas Visit to Children
- Week one, so children can return coin bags/boxes in timely fashion
Cookies to give children during class visits
- Mite (coin) bags/boxes for children
Tell about project
- Encourage use of alternative gift cards or giving tree tags. Use our Word files for AFEDJ or generic cards and tags.
More in another section
The American Friends of the Diocese of Jerusalem (AFEDJ), a non-profit, non-political partnership with the Church in the Holy Land. AFEDJ supports the work of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem in two major hospitals, several schools, 29 parishes and 35 service organizations in Palestine, Israel, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan. Click for more information.
Adapted from St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Used by permission.