St. Nicholas Monuments in Belgium
St. Nicholas, particularly beloved in Flanders, is found in many places besides churches. Click for larger images.
Saint Nicholas is also on the top of the Old Parish House in Sint-Niklaas. Built in 1663, it is now home to the city tourist office.
Medieval guilds built their houses around the Brussels town square. Rebuilt following the French bombardment in 1695, strict standards were in place yielding uniformity of style. The Grand Place stone houses were identified by name, shown by a small statue or other part of the decoration. Le Renard—The Fox—Number 7, was the house of the Traders Guild, with a statue of Saint Nicolas on top—the patron saint of merchants. The statue was removed for safety reasons around 2008. In 2018 a bronze replica was placed in the original position. The original 17th century statue was completely restored and placed for safe-keeping in Eglise Saint-Nicolas, Brussels.
St. Nicholas is above the entrance arch to the pub Au Bon Vieux Temps at 4 Saint-Nicolas/Sint-Niklaas street.