St. Nicholas Monuments in England
St. Nicholas is found in many places besides churches. Click for larger images.
The St. Nicolas tile mural is on the west wall of St Nicolas Church of England Primary School in Portslade. The mural is 20-feet high. The school was built in 1964.
This relief carving of St. Nicholas rescuing the three children was above the entrance to John Shelton School, built in 1936. After the school moved to new buildings in 1999 the old school was demolished. The carving is sitting next to bins with no plans for reinstallation.
St. Nicholas' three gold balls were on the St Nicholas Arms pub's sign, then later his image.
St. Nicholas on a donkey and with a Piet is on the St. Nicholas House pub sign. The pub is now closed.
St. Nicholas is on another pub sign, in Stevenage.
London, Sidney Street Estate
The St Pancras House Improvement Society, founded in 1924 by priest Basil Jellicoe, renewed housing in what had been known as Somers Town. The Sidney Street Estate covered two and a half acres whose new houses were built around central courtyards. Individual blocks of houses were named for saints: St. George, St. Francis, St. Anthony, St. Michael, St. Christopher, and St. Nicholas. The project, completed in 1938, has lunettes, originally made by Doultonware, illustrating fairy tales. The clothes line posts were topped with sculptured ceramic finials appropriate to the particular saint. In St. Nicholas' courtyard, a Christmas tree is surrounded by ships for the patron saint of sailors. The original ceramic finials have been replaced by modern replicas.
The St. Nicholas Shopping Centre in Sutton, London, features St. Nicholas with children and a ship on the weathervane high above the shopping center.